The Via Alta Vallemaggia alternates between mountain trails (T3) and Alpine routes (T4-T5–) and includes short exposed stretches (risk of falling) and climbing sections. The trickier sections are often equipped with chains or staples.
Some huts open as early as June, when the connecting sections are usually still covered in snow. Generally, the best season for trekking is between July and September/October. However, even in the height of summer, you are advised to contact the guardians to check the state of the route.
Overnight stays must be booked in advance in order to avoid unpleasant surprises and find oneself without accommodation.
The walking times indicated refer to walking time without breaks and are calculated on the basis of parameters defined by Swiss Hiking Federation and experience. The actual walking times will therefore generally be higher, especially for longer stages.
The following are therefore required:
- Good experience in the alpine environment
- Good physical condition
- Detailed planning (current conditions, weather forecast etc.)
- Sure-footedness off the marked trails and a head for heights
- Good hiking boots
- Suitable clothing
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Map with a scale of 1:25,000, altimeter, compass, and, if possible, GPS
- Travel pharmacy and emergency thermal blanket
- Sufficient food and drink
- Identity card and cash (francs and euros)
Not to be underestimated:
- High elevation
- Sudden weather changes
- Presence of snow at the beginning of the season
- Trekking time (particularly when hiking in large groups)
- Often no mobile coverage
- Lack of drinking water sources along some sections
Swiss REGA air ambulance service: 1414
Generaly emergencies (international): 112
When you call 112, your call is automatically transferred to the relevant emergency unit (ambulance, police and fire brigade). 112 can be called via the GSM network even if your SIM card or mobile phone are blocked. In virtually all countries, 112 works on a GSM network. Outside Switzerland, it also works without a SIM card.
In an emergency:
- Keep calm
- Protect injured persons and people in difficulty from further danger, the cold and bad weather
- Lend first aid
- Call for help and start rescue operations; never leave injured persons alone
- Think about your own safety, too
Support the mountains
Support the association Via Alta Vallemaggia